Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Rinaldo Law Group Rinaldo Law Group
  • Call For A Free Consultation
  • ~
  • Hablamos Español

Do Tractor-Trailers Have Blind Spots?


Every vehicle has blind spots, even the smallest car. However, tractor-trailers have much larger blind spots than the average passenger vehicle, simply because a tractor-trailer is much larger in size. If you wind up in a truck driver’s blind spots, the odds of being involved in an accident are much higher than they would be otherwise, and the results can be catastrophic. A knowledgeable attorney may be able to help you determine whether or not you have a case for damages.

Similar Blind Spots On Every Tractor-Trailer

Most tractor-trailers have the same two parts, and as such, have the same three sets of blind spots. There are two in the rear of the trailer, two near the front of the cargo area, and two at the lower part of the nose of the cab which extend about 20 feet in front of the vehicle. The spots in the front are often the most dangerous, because of a tractor-trailer’s relatively long braking time (both in terms of time and distance) – in general, large trucks require around 20-40 percent more distance to stop than cars do. When someone is in their blind spot, very often, the tractor-trailer is not able to stop in time.

The most common situation in which being in a tractor-trailer’s blind spots can make a difference is when the tractor-trailer is changing lanes or speeding, and is unable to see your vehicle. Even if they become aware of you in time, the longer required braking distance may be too much to avert the crash. That said, crashes involving tractor-trailers can happen at any time if a driver is unaware that they have ventured into the truck’s blind spots.

Are You Partially Liable?

While many tractor-trailer accidents can be laid at the foot of the trucker, blind spot accidents often involve some degree of fault on the part of the automobile driver. This is not always the case, but in most of these situations, a driver being in a truck’s blind spots without realizing it is placing themselves in danger. Obviously, this can happen very quickly, but it is the job of the driver to be aware of their place on the road, and a failure to do so can open them up to potentially being held liable for their own injuries.

That said, this does not always mean that you are barred from any kind of monetary recovery. Florida is what is known as a comparative fault state, which means that even if you, the plaintiff, are held liable for a portion of your injuries, you may still recover for the remaining percentage. For example, if you are held to have been 20 percent responsible for your injuries, you may still be able to recover the remaining 80 percent if the defendant was held liable by the judge or jury.

Contact A Tampa Tractor-Trailer Accident Attorney

Being involved in an accident with a tractor-trailer can cause serious, even life-threatening injuries. If you have experienced this, you have the right to seek damages for what you have been through. Contacting a Tampa truck accident attorney from the Rinaldo Law Group can help set you on the path to the financial recovery you need. We are happy to try and assist you; call us today for a free consultation.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation